Computer-generated images reveal shipyard's vision for Walney Airfield
SHIPYARD owner BAE Systems has submitted plans for a multi-million pound redevelopment of Walney Airfield.
BAE wants to replace the existing facilities with a new, bigger hangar capable of holding four Kingair planes, a vehicle garage for support vehicles, a fire engine, fuel bowser and grass cutting machinery, a car park and upgraded roadway, an aircraft apron and terminal and support building with air traffic control tower.
The plans include computer-generated images of the new airfield and buildings, including an impressive arrivals and departure lounge, conference rooms, shower facilities and a kitchen.
Prior to the construction of Walney Airfield in 1940, the land belonged to North End Farm, a farmstead that has its origins in the 13th century.
The area around North Walney became militarised in 1913 when it was used to test-fly airships for Vickers. During the Second World War the site was used as an Air Gunnery School run by the RAF.
Construction of the original airfield started in 1940 and it was used as a training centre during the Second World War.
Vickers, the former owner of the shipyard, took over the airfield in 1968.
In 2006, BAE upgraded the runway to make it suitable for two Kingair planes. The Lakes Gliding Club is also based at Walney, plus some privately owned aircraft.
A decision on BAE's planning application is due to be made by Barrow Borough Council by February 14.