The UK government has recalled and banned the use of a travel plug over concerns the device poses 'a serious risk of electric shock'.

Depending on the length and severity of the electric shock, injuries can include burns to the skin, prompting the government to take immediate action (May 23).

As we approach the summer months, holiday-goers are preparing to jet away and lap up the warm weather and sunshine.

This in turn creates a list of travel necessities, of which adapters usually top.


The GOV website states: "The product presents a serious risk of electric shock as live parts of the travel adaptor are accessible.

"The product has been withdrawn from the market."

Live parts of the travel adaptor are accessible when the product is plugged into a UK socket, which could cause the user to experience an electric shock when plugging in - or unplugging - the adaptor from the socket.

Also, the shutters do not protect users from live parts, which they can access.

The dimensions of the plug did not meet the requirements of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016 standard and the product did not contain a fuse.

How to spot the plug that has been banned?

The universal travel adaptor has retractable pins to fit overseas plug configurations.

This particular product has red shutters, a ‘Travel Universal Adaptor, Surge Protector’ labelling, and a CE mark.

Although there are similar-looking products on Amazon and eBay, it has not been confirmed that these are the exact same as the product that has been banned.

It is worth checking with any supplier if it is the exact 'Model 931L Universal Travel Adaptor' - the product detail can be found here.

What can happen if you get an electric shock?

People who receive an electric shock often get painful muscle spasms that can be strong enough to break bones or dislocate joints.

This loss of muscle control often means the person cannot 'let go' or escape the electric shock, resulting in burns.