A COMPANY that operated five pubs in Cumbria is being wound up.

Lakeland Inns Group Limited, under director Kirsty Amy Mackenzie, appointed a voluntary liquidator, Leonard Curtis of Preston, on March 31 after accruing declared debts of £873,453.14.

The company ran the Black Cock in Broughton, Clarke's Hotel in Rampside, The Commodore Inn in Grange, The Sun Inn in Ulverston, and the Royal Oak in Curthwaite.

A spokesperson from The Royal Oak said the pub will be reopening in early June under new management following refurbishments.

The Black Cock Inn is not currently trading.

Mrs Mackenzie is shown as a 75 per cent shareholder with the remaining 25 per cent being held by Charles Scott Mackenzie.

In Cumbria: Kirsty Mackenzie, Managing Director of Lakeland InnsKirsty Mackenzie, Managing Director of Lakeland Inns (Image: Newsquest Archive)

Six public documents are visible on Companies House disclaiming the company’s interest in the buildings housing the pubs, as well as a finance agreement with Ford Credit for a car.

According to the company’s Statement of Affairs, dated March 15, the company's debt to Ford Credit totals £34,000.

The statement lists the 'book value' of the company’s assets at £439,993 but it estimates that those assets will realise £47,375 which would be made available to 'preferential creditors'.

READ MORE: 'Want to invest in our future workforce'-Pub group creating career opportunities

The primary preferential creditor is listed as 'salaries and wages', to which the statement says the company owes £18,117, leaving £29,258 to pay the sole 'secondary potential creditor', which is His Majesty’s Revenue and Customs VAT and PAYE, which is owed £374,425.

Under 'Unsecured non-preferential claims' is listed 'Employee claims', - a total of £32,301.

13 employees are listed as creditors, owed ££50,418.22.

The total debt listed under this heading is £189,586.

Added to this is a £212,500 debt relating to a HSBC loan.

The most significant of the other creditors include Booking.com, based in the Netherlands, to which the company is listed as owing £10,798,93.

A number of utility companies are creditors including Scottish Power, to which Lakeland Inns Group owed £12,744.44, and Skipsandbins.co.uk Limited, which is owed £13,204,01.

Local businesses are also listed as creditors with Westmorland Laundry Services in Grange owed £254.78 and Westmorland Fire and Security based in Kendal to the tune of £132.

Carlisle-based JDS Building is owed £1,291.65, Johnston's of Grange is owed £450, and Solway Heaters Ltd of Workington is owed £216.97.

Kirsty Mackenzie and Leonard Curtis have both been approached for comment.