Workington lingerie shop shuts to concentrate on web sales
Last updated at 13:04, Friday, 11 January 2013
A lingerie shop has closed its doors in Workington in a bid to focus business on online sales.
Madame Gerties Emporium, of Wilson Street, specialised in vintage-style underwear and accessories.
It was opened two years ago by Laura Fagan, of Portland Square, along with an online store.
She said that web sales had always done well, so closing the shop would mean more time to develop the business online.
She added: “Sales this Christmas were steady and comparable to the previous year but I think retail in general is struggling so moving everything online will help us grow, especially as we are in a niche market.”
Ms Fagan said the website was attracting customers from as far as Europe and America.
The mum-of-two added: “Customers were shopping through the website partly for the anonymity.
“But it has been a fantastic two years and I am really pleased I opened the shop in my home town.”
Ms Fagan was one of the winners of last year’s Local Business Accelerator scheme, run by the , which saw her offered the chance to work with local business mentors.
First published at 13:01, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Stobart Group upbeat about latest results
- Companies lining up bids to run Carlisle TV station
- Survey results could mean Cumbrian coal revival
- Shortlist announced for CN Group business awards
- New TIS factory will boost Cumbrian manufacturing
- Council votes to back supermarket levy
- Ban for directors of Carlisle-based finance business
- How to use colour on your website
- Boss says poor rail service is stifling growth in South Cumbria
- Cumbrian catering equipment company sold
- Huge drop in number of employment tribunals
- New finance director at Story Homes
- Cumbrian houses less affordable than London homes
- Scotland wants to explore Solway for oil and gas
- Women bosses earning less then men
- Firms get say on Carlisle city centre vision
- Fracking protection for Lake District National Park unless 'exceptional circumstances' (1 comment)
- Brewery expands to meet demand
- First Moorside contract put out to tender