Workington lingerie shop shuts to concentrate on web sales
Last updated at 13:04, Friday, 11 January 2013
A lingerie shop has closed its doors in Workington in a bid to focus business on online sales.
Madame Gerties Emporium, of Wilson Street, specialised in vintage-style underwear and accessories.
It was opened two years ago by Laura Fagan, of Portland Square, along with an online store.
She said that web sales had always done well, so closing the shop would mean more time to develop the business online.
She added: “Sales this Christmas were steady and comparable to the previous year but I think retail in general is struggling so moving everything online will help us grow, especially as we are in a niche market.”
Ms Fagan said the website was attracting customers from as far as Europe and America.
The mum-of-two added: “Customers were shopping through the website partly for the anonymity.
“But it has been a fantastic two years and I am really pleased I opened the shop in my home town.”
Ms Fagan was one of the winners of last year’s Local Business Accelerator scheme, run by the , which saw her offered the chance to work with local business mentors.
First published at 13:01, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Double jobs boost in Carlisle
- Sellafield chimney removal will take years
- FSB outlines opposition to parking fees
- Cumbria’s £3bn grid connection: everything you need to know
- Training experts offer tips on learning for #cumbriahour
- Lake District whisky goes on sale at Harvey Nicks
- £1million ploughed into Cumbrian travel project
- Cumbria's top tweeters give their social media tips
- Blencathra has been sold
- £27m Government deal to create 2,000 jobs
- Warning over 'Hollywood-style' cyber attack
BBC News business headlines
- Good week for supplier base
- Good to see familiar faces return to ringside
- Get ideas off drawing board
- Dear Jenny
- Engineering boss relishes taking on fresh challenges
- Maryport firm SIS Pitches completes job in Copenhagen
- Website gives South Cumbria firms chance to take on giants
- Cumbrian marmalades to go on sale at Fortnum & Mason
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
- Child porn images were downloaded by mistake, man tells court
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (4 comments)
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (4 comments)
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Police name dead cyclist found by A592 in south Cumbria
- Country traditions thrill thousands in Coniston
- Top poets launch three new collections
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Sun set to shine on festival of Kings