Worker hurt in robbery bid
Published at 16:19, Wednesday, 02 January 2013
A SHOP worker was injured in a scuffle with a would-be robber in Barrow yesterday morning.
Police say the assailant entered Greengate Street News, on the corner of Greengate Street and Rawlinson Street, Barrow, at 10am.
The man, believed to be in his early 20s and wearing a grey tracksuit, concealed his face before threatening a male member of staff and demanding money from the till.
The victim received minor injuries during a scuffle with the unarmed robber, who left the shop without any money and was last seen running down Rawlinson Street, in the direction of Abbey Road.
It isn’t the first time a shop worker at Greengate Street News has been injured by would-be thieves.
In April last year Brian Simpson, owner of Greengate Street News, was punched by a drunken man during a burglary at the shop. And in November a shop assistant at McDougall News, also in Rawlinson Street, was left shaken after the store was held up at knife point.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Barrow CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Double jobs boost in Carlisle
- Sellafield chimney removal will take years
- FSB outlines opposition to parking fees
- Cumbria’s £3bn grid connection: everything you need to know
- Training experts offer tips on learning for #cumbriahour
- Lake District whisky goes on sale at Harvey Nicks
- £1million ploughed into Cumbrian travel project
- Cumbria's top tweeters give their social media tips
- Blencathra has been sold
- £27m Government deal to create 2,000 jobs
- Warning over 'Hollywood-style' cyber attack
BBC News business headlines
- Good week for supplier base
- Good to see familiar faces return to ringside
- Get ideas off drawing board
- Dear Jenny
- Engineering boss relishes taking on fresh challenges
- Maryport firm SIS Pitches completes job in Copenhagen
- Website gives South Cumbria firms chance to take on giants
- Cumbrian marmalades to go on sale at Fortnum & Mason
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
- Child porn images were downloaded by mistake, man tells court
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (2 comments)
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (4 comments)
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Police name dead cyclist found by A592 in south Cumbria
- Country traditions thrill thousands in Coniston
- Top poets launch three new collections
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Sun set to shine on festival of Kings