Upset over Ulverston play area fire
Last updated at 16:54, Tuesday, 17 July 2012
MEMBERS of the community have spoken of their disappointment after part of a recently-opened children’s playground in Ulverston burned down.
A fire engine was called out to Croftlands Park in the early hours of Sunday morning where officers found a play structure on fire.
Police are treating the fire, which caused £8,500 worth of damage, as suspicious.
Town councillor Norman Bishop-Rowe, who was involved in bringing the playground to Croftlands, said: “It is very upsetting after all the effort it took to get the money to build the play area.
“Last summer I saw kids having a whale of a time there and on Sunday a lot of children were in floods of tears.”
The £150,000 adventure playground opened in April 2011 but drew some criticism at the time because of fears it would attract vandalism and anti-social behaviour.
A wooden castle was almost entirely burned down and residents are convinced it was the work of vandals.
Pat Appleton, co-ordinator of Croftlands Community Safety Group, said: “It was not a little fire – it was deliberately burned.
“It was not just an accident with a cigarette or anything like that.”
Mrs Appleton, of Rowan Avenue, had previously complained that the play area attracted anti-social behaviour at night.
She said: “But we don’t want to say; ‘We told you so’ – you can never see these things happening.
“We just have to keep making sure those people are isolated and move on.
“We are not going to let them interfere with developments.”
A spokeswoman for South Lakeland District Council said it had cleared up the mess and closed off part of the area for safety reasons.
She said: “It is just really disappointing because kids love it there.
“It was just mindless vandalism and I think a lot of children will be devastated.
“We have done everything we can to get rid of all the rubbish and make it safe.
“The rest of the park is still open.”
Sergeant Lee Hill, at Ulverston Police Station, said: “Because it is a play area there is no natural ignition source nearby so it is looking suspicious.
“Inquiries are ongoing and we are appealing for witnesses.”
Anyone with information regarding the incident should call the police on 101.
First published at 16:11, Tuesday, 17 July 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
If they find out who did it, they should make them help re-build it completely and then apologise to all the children they have upset.
When the police find out who done this they should be named and shamed,i don't care if there underage they should be named.There just scum,who would do this to a kids playground area