Sheep killed in crash on M6 near Carlisle
Last updated at 09:29, Friday, 16 November 2012
A number of sheep were killed and others left running across the M6 following a crash.
The only vehicle believed to have been involved in the incident was a Land Rover pulling a trailer containing 20 sheep.
It overturned at the bottom of the exit slip from Southwaite Services, near Carlisle, onto the northbound carriageway of the motorway at about 12.15pm yesterday.
A lorry initially parked diagonally across the carriageway to prevent other motorists causing further disruption.
Cumbria Police said a number of farmers stopped to help round-up the sheep, which are understood to have been corralled into a field.
A number of the animals were killed in the accident.
Initially two lanes of the M6 were closed, but the road was reopened by about 12.45pm. “The incident caused substantial tailbacks,” a police spokeswoman said.
First published at 09:18, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- Should firms support Labour's minimum wage plans?
- Cumbrian businesses refute office space claims
- New Balance Cumbria is 'factory of the future'
- The £7 million semi-detached home in Carlisle?
- Carlisle Living Awards: winners revealed
- Movers and shakers in the Cumbrian business world
- Chef to hold masterclasses for food business start-ups
- Foreign visitors to Lake District on the rise
- Cumbrian village digs its own broadband network
- Story Homes submits plan for 190 houses in north Carlisle (46 comments)
- Record occupancy for Cumbria hotel
- New map shows details of proposed power lines route across Cumbria (10 comments)
- SMEs lose out in council spending
- Stobart Group upbeat about latest results
BBC News business headlines
- Wedding planning duo have ring of confidence
- Benefits of wind power
- Good things come in threes for top accountants
- Apprentice schemes prove popular with school leavers
- Perfect chance to make your leadership dreams come true
- Glenn and Julie had the bottle to go it alone with plastics firm
- Dedication looks set to pay off for an ‘inspirational’ young apprentice
- Pupils compete for chance to quiz companies
- Businesswoman in line for top award
- Mules proved to be just champion at Gimmer lambs annual sale
- Carlisle scaffolding drama
- Appeal after smashed trailer light in Barrow
- Ulverston man, 81, who fell through roof is "very lucky to be alive" - say family
- Cumbria road closure after collision
- Tributes paid to 'one-of-a-kind' Carlisle dad
- Ulverston supermarket row set for legal showdown in court
- Road closed after one-car crash
- Road closed after car accident
- Barrow pet owner’s heartbreak after beloved cat is killed
- HGV and driving instructor's car collide on busy Carlisle road