Sheep killed in crash on M6 near Carlisle
Last updated at 09:29, Friday, 16 November 2012
A number of sheep were killed and others left running across the M6 following a crash.
The only vehicle believed to have been involved in the incident was a Land Rover pulling a trailer containing 20 sheep.
It overturned at the bottom of the exit slip from Southwaite Services, near Carlisle, onto the northbound carriageway of the motorway at about 12.15pm yesterday.
A lorry initially parked diagonally across the carriageway to prevent other motorists causing further disruption.
Cumbria Police said a number of farmers stopped to help round-up the sheep, which are understood to have been corralled into a field.
A number of the animals were killed in the accident.
Initially two lanes of the M6 were closed, but the road was reopened by about 12.45pm. “The incident caused substantial tailbacks,” a police spokeswoman said.
First published at 09:18, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- Funniest Twitter responses to best ever Apprentice episode
- Roman fertility god banned by Facebook
- £450,000 boost to Rosehill theatre redevelopment
- Firm uses Skype to help client in Ebola zone
- Will Lloyds Bank branches in Cumbria be saved from the axe?
- Firms urged to aim higher at Growth Twenty14
- Over 2000 new businesses set up in Cumbria this year
- MPs press rail minister to invest in Furness line
- 20,000 will use Carlisle airport to get to USA
- Cumbria business discovers amazing Roman treasure
- Cranston’s: we won’t leave to grow
- Hotel wins top Facebook award
- Cumbria businessman lauded nationally as visionary
- Keep ownership until cash is in the bank
- Never underestimate the importance of lists
- Eight global markets already lined up for Lakes Gin
- Lakeland kitchenware predicting rapid growth
- Nuclear skills time bomb can be halted
- Should firms support Labour's minimum wage plans?
- Carlisle Living Awards: winners revealed
- Cumbrian village digs its own broadband network
- Story Homes submits plan for 190 houses in north Carlisle (46 comments)
- Record occupancy for Cumbria hotel