Police confirm body found in Wastwater was missing diver
Last updated at 09:21, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
Police have confirmed that a body found in Wastwater yesterday (Tuesday) was that of a diver missing since Sunday afternoon.
Carl Andrew Morris, 39, of Broadgate, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, was diving with a group of people when he failed to surface.
His body was recovered by the North West Police Underwater Search Team during a major multi-agency search.
The search operation, involving a helicopter from RAF Valley and Cumbria police, Whitehaven Coastguard, Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service and Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team, got underway after the alarm was raised.
The police underwater search team, from Lancashire, searched the lake, the deepest in England, from 11pm on Sunday until 6.30am Monday before resuming later in the day.
Bad weather on Monday afternoon forced the search to be postponed until yesterday morning.
A joint investigation by police and the Health and Safety Executive into the circumstances of Mr Morris's death is underway.
First published at 14:41, Tuesday, 29 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Double jobs boost in Carlisle
- Sellafield chimney removal will take years
- FSB outlines opposition to parking fees
- Cumbria’s £3bn grid connection: everything you need to know
- Training experts offer tips on learning for #cumbriahour
- Lake District whisky goes on sale at Harvey Nicks
- £1million ploughed into Cumbrian travel project
- Cumbria's top tweeters give their social media tips
- Blencathra has been sold
- £27m Government deal to create 2,000 jobs
- Warning over 'Hollywood-style' cyber attack
BBC News business headlines
- Story Homes manager wins Building Excellence award
- Demolition of Sellafield's Cold War tower to begin
- Lakes College's quality of education recognised
- National award for Penrith Building Society
- Barrow students celebrate success
- Inspira column
- There’s still time to take part in prestigious awards
- World Cup prints idea scores global success
- Good week for supplier base
- Good to see familiar faces return to ringside
- Motorists told to avoid M6 southbound
- Collabro to headline Carlisle Christmas lights switch-on
- Armed police sent to deal with domestic incident
- Cyclist hit by car in Barrow
- Oil spill closes road near Ulverston
- Cats are cream of the crop
- Councils will be unable to veto underground nuclear waste plans - Government (3 comments)
- Campaigners angry about ‘tax loophole’ at Barrow, Lancaster and Kendal hospitals
- Almost 300 animals stolen in Barrow, Ulverston and Millom since 2011
- New Barrow cinema room brings golden age of silver screen back to life (2 comments)