New vicar appointed at two Carlisle churches
Last updated at 15:23, Friday, 11 January 2013
A new vicar has been appointed at two churches in north Carlisle.
Nigel Beer will lead the clergy at St Michael’s Church in Stanwix and St Mark’s Church in Belah.
He is currently responsible for two churches in the parish of Moor Allerton and Shadwell in Leeds.
Mr Beer, 50, has been involved with the New Wine network for 10 years – a group that works together to renew and strengthen churches.
A message on the church’s website says: “We have found a new vicar. We look forward to welcoming Nigel Beer as the new vicar.
“Nigel is married to Janet and is currently team vicar of St Barnabas in Leeds.”
Mr Beer, who has two grown-up daughters, will be moving to Carlisle in the spring and he will be collated and installed on May 12 at 4pm by the Bishop of Carlisle James Newcome.
In his spare time he enjoys walking up big hills, golf and is a keen supporter of Leeds Rhinos Rugby League club.
He said: “We had a short holiday here a number of years ago so we are looking forward to exploring the area further. We will be living in Stanwix Vicarage and are really looking forward to getting to know the people of St Michael’s and St Mark’s as well as the local community.
“I see my job as helping people to discover God’s love and to work out what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ in the world today.”
Mr Beer replaces Ben Phillips who moved with his family from Stanwix to Christ Church in Rio de Janeiro in the summer.
During his time at the two churches, attendances rose, a youth worker was appointed, a restoration appeal was launched and successful Sunday schools were put in operation.
The Church of England usually leaves a gap between appointments so a new vicar does not step straight into the shoes of the outgoing vicar.
The interview panel included the Bishop of Carlisle; Archdeacon of Carlisle, the Venerable Kevin Roberts; curate Chris Bolster, and reader and church member Tim Hazard.
First published at 14:32, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- Funniest Twitter responses to best ever Apprentice episode
- Roman fertility god banned by Facebook
- £450,000 boost to Rosehill theatre redevelopment
- Firm uses Skype to help client in Ebola zone
- Will Lloyds Bank branches in Cumbria be saved from the axe?
- Firms urged to aim higher at Growth Twenty14
- Over 2000 new businesses set up in Cumbria this year
- MPs press rail minister to invest in Furness line
- 20,000 will use Carlisle airport to get to USA
- Cumbria business discovers amazing Roman treasure
- Cranston’s: we won’t leave to grow
- Hotel wins top Facebook award
- Cumbria businessman lauded nationally as visionary
- Keep ownership until cash is in the bank
- Never underestimate the importance of lists
- Eight global markets already lined up for Lakes Gin
- Lakeland kitchenware predicting rapid growth
- Nuclear skills time bomb can be halted
- Should firms support Labour's minimum wage plans?
- Carlisle Living Awards: winners revealed
- Cumbrian village digs its own broadband network
- Story Homes submits plan for 190 houses in north Carlisle (46 comments)
- Record occupancy for Cumbria hotel