Mitchells chairman joins Cumberland Building Society board
Published at 08:43, Tuesday, 26 February 2013
THE chairman of Mitchells Auction Company, Bob Watson, has joined the board of the Cumberland Building Society as a non-executive director.
The Cumberland, based in Carlisle, is the UK’s 11th largest building society and Cumbria’s largest financial institution with assets of more than £1.5bn.
Mr Watson said: “I am very pleased to be joining the Cumberland’s board of directors. The Cumberland is one of our region’s most successful businesses and I am looking forward to being part of its continuing success.”
Mr Watson was born in County Down in Northern Ireland but has lived in England since graduating from Loughborough University in 1974 with a degree in chemical engineering.
He came to Cumbria as managing director of Iggesund Paperboard in Workington in 1995 and went on to run three other £100m-plus turnover companies before retiring in 2005.
From 2006 to 2009 he chaired West Lakes Renaissance and was a director of Cumbria Vision.
He lives in Cockermouth with his wife Janette.
As well as his role at Mitchells, he sits on the board of CN Group, the parent company of Cumbrian Newspapers publisher of The Cumberland News.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- Double jobs boost in Carlisle
- Sellafield chimney removal will take years
- FSB outlines opposition to parking fees
- Cumbria’s £3bn grid connection: everything you need to know
- Training experts offer tips on learning for #cumbriahour
- Lake District whisky goes on sale at Harvey Nicks
- £1million ploughed into Cumbrian travel project
- Cumbria's top tweeters give their social media tips
- Blencathra has been sold
- £27m Government deal to create 2,000 jobs
- Warning over 'Hollywood-style' cyber attack
BBC News business headlines
- Good week for supplier base
- Good to see familiar faces return to ringside
- Get ideas off drawing board
- Dear Jenny
- Engineering boss relishes taking on fresh challenges
- Maryport firm SIS Pitches completes job in Copenhagen
- Website gives South Cumbria firms chance to take on giants
- Cumbrian marmalades to go on sale at Fortnum & Mason
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
- Child porn images were downloaded by mistake, man tells court
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (4 comments)
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (4 comments)
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Police name dead cyclist found by A592 in south Cumbria
- Country traditions thrill thousands in Coniston
- Top poets launch three new collections
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Sun set to shine on festival of Kings