Man arrested on suspicion of rape in Carlisle bailed
Last updated at 08:35, Tuesday, 19 March 2013
A man arrested on suspicion of rape in Carlisle has been bailed by police.
The 46-year-old local man was interviewed by detectives yesterday (Monday).
He has been released on bail until April 8 while inquiries continue.
His arrest followed an allegation that a 22-year-old woman was sexually assaulted in the city between 1am and 3.30am yesterday after being picked up in a vehicle on Botchergate.
The woman, who had been on a night out with friends, was attacked inside the car before being dropped off in the Etterby Road area.
She then waved down the female driver of a small blue car who took her home, say police.
Officers appealed to this driver, who is believed to be a key witness, to come forward.
Detective Sergeant Matt Scott, who is leading the investigation, said: “I’d like to thank the local media who publicised our appeal so quickly which resulted in the motorist coming forward to speak to us this afternoon (Monday).
“I have thanked the motorist personally who contacted us less than one hour after we appealed for her to get in touch. We believe she acted as a good Samaritan and took the young woman home safely after she was subjected to a sexual assault.
“She is now able to provide us with a statement and our investigation is continuing this afternoon.”
The driver is a Carlisle woman and she gave officers a witness statement.
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
First published at 14:12, Monday, 18 March 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Funniest Twitter responses to best ever Apprentice episode
- Roman fertility god banned by Facebook
- £450,000 boost to Rosehill theatre redevelopment
- Firm uses Skype to help client in Ebola zone
- Will Lloyds Bank branches in Cumbria be saved from the axe?
- Firms urged to aim higher at Growth Twenty14
- Over 2000 new businesses set up in Cumbria this year
- MPs press rail minister to invest in Furness line
- 20,000 will use Carlisle airport to get to USA
- Cumbria business discovers amazing Roman treasure
- Cranston’s: we won’t leave to grow
- Hotel wins top Facebook award
- Cumbria businessman lauded nationally as visionary
- Keep ownership until cash is in the bank
- Never underestimate the importance of lists
- Eight global markets already lined up for Lakes Gin
- Lakeland kitchenware predicting rapid growth
- Nuclear skills time bomb can be halted
- Should firms support Labour's minimum wage plans?
- Carlisle Living Awards: winners revealed
- Cumbrian village digs its own broadband network
- Story Homes submits plan for 190 houses in north Carlisle (46 comments)
- Record occupancy for Cumbria hotel
- Cumbria apprentice’s experiment set to be highlight of fair
- Maryport firm creates special pitch for blind footballers
- Carlisle lingerie shop in running for national award
- Service boosted by Cumbria bikers’ charity ride
- Social media idea to help firms grow
- Cumbria jobcentre changes
- Cumbria nuclear expert’s joy at young people’s success