Junior farmers show prize-winning lambs
Last updated at 12:46, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
ULVERSTON AUCTION MART – TUESDAY 1 JANUARY 2013
New Year Junior Farmers Prize
Lamb Show & Sale
AN excellent entry were forward to our very competent Judge Mr Peter Hutchinson, Greenodd and after much deliberation he expertly placed the awards as follows: 1 Ellen Procter, 2 Eve Procter, 3 Jack Knight.
Highly Commended were awarded to Peter Fell, George Fell, Leah Parker, Owen Airey, Leah Clough, Anya Clough, Zara Clough, Sophie Bradley, Martin Bradley, Libby Knight, Emma Cooper, Craig Cooper, Meg Procter, Amy Wilkinson, Stephen Beck, Laura Beck, Adam Atkinson, James Atkinson.
Prime Lamb trade on the day saw a slight decrease on the week following all national market trends. Top price on the day realised 197.37ppkg for an excellent pen of 38kg Beltex Hoggs exhibited by R & E Beck, Parkhouse being purchased by D Stamper, Preston. Top pounds per head reached £83 for 48kg shapy Texels shown by J J Procter, Adgarley being purchased by Browns Quality Meats Butchers of Lindal.
Other Leading Prices: £81.50(tex) Riddingside; £77(suf) Adgarley; £75(btex) Parkhouse; £75(cha) Low Lodge/East View; £70(btex) Low Flan; £63(black) Newholme; £63(tex) Adgarley; £62(suf) Moor Green; £62(tex) Low Lodge; £62(black) Castle Hill; £69(black) The Stable, Walthwaite; £61(chev) Low Lodge;
Prime Cattle & OTM Cattle
A small show saw trade similar to previous weeks. Topping the market was a well fed 606kg Limousin Heifer reaching 206.50ppkg (£1,251.39) also being the top pounds per head for vendor T H Garnett & Son, New Close being purchased by T Postlethwaite & Co, Urswick.
Other Leading Prices: Limousin Hfr 191.50ppkg Water Blean; Limousin Hfr 196.50ppkg New Close; OTM BB Hfr 179.50ppkg Water Blean.
A very pleasing number forward saw trade staying as it was previously. With more hill bred ewes forward for sale the market had an average of £41.37. Topping the market was a pen of huge Texels reaching £95 for J & G Cooper, Stank being purchased by A Thompson, Burton.
Other Leading Prices: Texels £68 Stank; Suffolks £61 Sheep Parks; Mules £65 Near Old Park; Mules £61.50 Far Old Park;
Swaledales £36.50 Urswick; Cheviots £48 Nibthwaite Grange; Cheviots £46 Nibthwaite Grange; Herdwicks £42 Nibthwaite Grange; Scotch £33 Urswick.
First published at 11:48, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Double jobs boost in Carlisle
- Sellafield chimney removal will take years
- FSB outlines opposition to parking fees
- Cumbria’s £3bn grid connection: everything you need to know
- Training experts offer tips on learning for #cumbriahour
- Lake District whisky goes on sale at Harvey Nicks
- £1million ploughed into Cumbrian travel project
- Cumbria's top tweeters give their social media tips
- Blencathra has been sold
- £27m Government deal to create 2,000 jobs
- Warning over 'Hollywood-style' cyber attack
BBC News business headlines
- Good week for supplier base
- Good to see familiar faces return to ringside
- Get ideas off drawing board
- Dear Jenny
- Engineering boss relishes taking on fresh challenges
- Maryport firm SIS Pitches completes job in Copenhagen
- Website gives South Cumbria firms chance to take on giants
- Cumbrian marmalades to go on sale at Fortnum & Mason
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
- Child porn images were downloaded by mistake, man tells court
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (1 comment)
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (4 comments)
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Police name dead cyclist found by A592 in south Cumbria
- Country traditions thrill thousands in Coniston
- Top poets launch three new collections
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Sun set to shine on festival of Kings