Jobs axed at HMV but chain's shops stay open
Last updated at 12:03, Monday, 04 February 2013
Administrators running the troubled music chain HMV have cut 190 jobs, but all its shops remain open.
Nick Edwards, Rob Harding and Neville Kahn, of insolvency specialist Deloitte, were appointed joint administrators on January 15 and are trying to sell the business as a going concern.
HMV has 223 stores including outlets at The Lanes in Carlisle and Washington Square, Workington.
All 190 redundancies are at the firm’s head office or in its distribution network. None is in its stores.
Mr Edwards said: “Although such decisions are always difficult, it is a necessary step in restructuring the business to enhance the prospects of securing its future as a going concern.
“I remain hopeful we will be able to secure a future for a restructured business.”
First published at 11:35, Monday, 04 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Funniest Twitter responses to best ever Apprentice episode
- Roman fertility god banned by Facebook
- £450,000 boost to Rosehill theatre redevelopment
- Firm uses Skype to help client in Ebola zone
- Will Lloyds Bank branches in Cumbria be saved from the axe?
- Firms urged to aim higher at Growth Twenty14
- Over 2000 new businesses set up in Cumbria this year
- MPs press rail minister to invest in Furness line
- 20,000 will use Carlisle airport to get to USA
- Cumbria business discovers amazing Roman treasure
- Cranston’s: we won’t leave to grow
- Hotel wins top Facebook award
- Cumbria businessman lauded nationally as visionary
- Keep ownership until cash is in the bank
- Never underestimate the importance of lists
- Eight global markets already lined up for Lakes Gin
- Lakeland kitchenware predicting rapid growth
- Nuclear skills time bomb can be halted
- Should firms support Labour's minimum wage plans?
- Carlisle Living Awards: winners revealed
- Cumbrian village digs its own broadband network
- Story Homes submits plan for 190 houses in north Carlisle (46 comments)
- Record occupancy for Cumbria hotel