Unemployment falls in Cumbria for the fifth month in a row
Published at 10:31, Wednesday, 23 January 2013
UNEMPLOYMENT in Cumbria fell in December for the fifth month running.
Official figures from the Office for National Statistics show there were 8,438 people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance, 93 fewer than in November and 385 fewer than in December 2011.
The county’s unemployment rate fell from 2.8 per cent to 2.7. Allerdale saw the steepest fall. Its jobless total tumbled by 61 to 1,901 giving an unemployment rate of 3.2 per cent.
The same applied in Copeland where the total fell by 13 to 1,500 (3.3 per cent).
Eden’s claimant count fell by 22 to 378 (1.2 per cent) and Barrow’s by 56 to 1,761 (4.0 per cent).
But Carlisle and South Lakeland bucked the downward trend.
Carlisle’s jobless count climbed by 15 to 2,068 (3.0 per cent) and South Lakeland’s by 44 to 830 (1.3 per cent).
Nationally, the seasonally-adjusted claimant count fell by 12,100 to 1.56m.
And the quarterly rolling total, which includes those not eligible for Jobseeker’s Allowance, fell 37,000 to 2.49m.
Average earnings increased by 1.5 per cent in the year to November.
Published by http://www.in-cumbria.com
- Double jobs boost in Carlisle
- Sellafield chimney removal will take years
- FSB outlines opposition to parking fees
- Cumbria’s £3bn grid connection: everything you need to know
- Training experts offer tips on learning for #cumbriahour
- Lake District whisky goes on sale at Harvey Nicks
- £1million ploughed into Cumbrian travel project
- Cumbria's top tweeters give their social media tips
- Blencathra has been sold
- £27m Government deal to create 2,000 jobs
- Warning over 'Hollywood-style' cyber attack
BBC News business headlines
- Good week for supplier base
- Good to see familiar faces return to ringside
- Get ideas off drawing board
- Dear Jenny
- Engineering boss relishes taking on fresh challenges
- Maryport firm SIS Pitches completes job in Copenhagen
- Website gives South Cumbria firms chance to take on giants
- Cumbrian marmalades to go on sale at Fortnum & Mason
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
- Child porn images were downloaded by mistake, man tells court
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (3 comments)
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (4 comments)
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Police name dead cyclist found by A592 in south Cumbria
- Country traditions thrill thousands in Coniston
- Top poets launch three new collections
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Sun set to shine on festival of Kings