The dynamism and invention of Cumbrian business was there for all to see at last night's CN Group Business Awards. The winners were unveiled at a gala ceremony at Carlisle Racecourse, attended by 300 of the county’s movers and shakers. (1 comment)
Business Awards 2014
THIS award is made at the judges’ discretion if they feel a worthy recipient has had a “significant and positive impact” on Cumbrian business.
FOUNDED in 1946, Brathay Trust inspires young people to become successful, confident and responsible citizens who engage positively in their communities.
WITH more than 20 years of recruitment agency management experience, accountancy firm Simplyco knew Paul J Murphy was the right man for them.
MARIE Tattersall’s Acorns Pre-School opened its doors in 2011 with just three children on its books.
LAMONT Pridmore is a family-run firm of chartered accountants, tax and business advisers with three partners, 53 staff and eight offices in Cumbria and Lancashire.
THE business was founded in the 1980s by Ian and Linda Warnes to supply musical instruments to schools.
THE Trout Hotel is a four-star, 49-bedroom venue on the banks of the River Derwent in Cockermouth.
CHERRY Tree Fashions changed Norah May Alderson’s life.
INVENTOR Richard Bowness unveiled his novel wood-cutting tool, the Truncator, two years ago and since then has achieved recognition for his creation.
DERWENT Pencils are the UK’s leading brand and are made by the Cumberland Pencil Factory.
OVER the last decade, Armstrong Ward has provided shoppers with quality design-led gifts and furniture.
CREDITED with sparking the LED lighting revolution in Furness, Oxley Group was set up in the 1940s to manufacture kit for the military during World War Two.
WITH properties on its books worth more than £100m, cottage company Heart of the Lakes boasts an enviable share of the market in Cumbria.
THIS is a business that truly believes ethics are compatible with being profitable and successful.
BBC News business headlines
- Young Cumbrian finance director named best in Britain
- Story firms forge fundraising links with Cumbrian hospices
- Votes plea from West Cumbrian businesswoman
- £180,000 makeover for Carlisle city centre pub
- Lloyd Volvo gets go-ahead for bigger showroom in Carlisle
- Investigation into Flimby fire complete
- Major £20m deal in the pipeline for Tata in Workington
- Profits rise sharply at Cumbrian company Stobart
- Cumbria jobless total hits 32-year low
- Story Homes wants mortgage lending boost
- Two die in crash on busy Cumbrian road
- South Cumbria girl gets first in line for thrills on dream holiday of a lifetime
- WITH VIDEOS: Crowds lap up Barrow music festival fun in the sun
- Man's body found on Barrow beach - next of kin of missing Manchester man informed
- Mum and children attacked in Carlisle park
- See the action on TV
- £1.7m price tag on Cumbrian politician's former home
- Talented Barrow athlete in running to train with Olympic star
- Fire in Cumbrian home
- Man cheats death in Walney Channel rescue