Award winner helps launch Eden Ladies business network
Published at 00:47, Sunday, 10 February 2013
CUMBRIAN Women in Business award winner Jackie Kirkpatrick is helping to launch a network for Eden businesswomen.
Jackie Kirkpatrick co-owner of Appleby Bakery, received her award at a prestigious conference last year at the Low Wood Bay Hotel, in Windermere from Cumbria Chamber of Commerce - and now she is organising a glitzy business event of her own to launch Eden Ladies business networking group.
Jackie said: “Being awarded the Cumbrian Women in Business award was very special for me, and I want to make the most of this year to help other women setting up and running their own enterprises in Eden.
“In the Upper Eden Valley an estimated 80 per cent of all businesses are run or owned by women.
“Also in this rural area, while many of the key positions in local business are filled by women, there are also all the ladies that work from home or run one-woman-businesses cleaning, providing mobile nails, beauty or hairdressing services for example. They may not always think of themselves as business women, however, they are very much part of the local business community and I am encouraging them to be part of Eden Ladies.
“We will be launching Eden Ladies with a black-tie event with speakers including Eden businesswomen. The success of a business is completely reliant on sales, and if we can buy services and products from each other in our locality we not only get a quality service but also help boost the local economy, and business others succeed in this challenging economic environment.”
The project is gaining finance from the Regional Growth Network and Business Start-up Support (BSUS) which offer specialist support to rural women.
Published by http://www.in-cumbria.com
- Engineering needs to be ‘sexier’ says Cumbrian MD
- Top tips: climbing the Google rankings
- Cumbria business blog
- CumbriaHour discusses the business tech of the future
- Cumbria bakers to compete in TV cooking contest (1 comment)
- Totalpost wins huge Home Office contract
- Dodd & Co salute staff with 155 years service
- Chancellor praises Carlisle in Commons - twice
- Cumbria firms welcome package to help high street trade
- Superfast broadband: Carlisle businesses get up to speed
- Small Business Saturday hailed as a 'big success'