Free festive bus in west Cumbria could be extended
Last updated at 13:02, Friday, 11 January 2013
A free bus service which runs on Boxing Day in Workington could be extended to Maryport and Cockermouth this year.
Alistair Grey, 60, secretary of Workington Transport Heritage Trust, said trust members were considering extending the service after the success of Boxing Day 2012.
The trust runs the annual service using one of its classic buses to help people visit friends and loved ones, and go to the shops.
Volunteers link Seaton with Workington bus station, Moorclose, Salterbeck and Harrington.
Around 270 passengers travelled free on a 33-year-old Leyland National bus last Boxing Day – up from 250 passengers in 2011.
And Mr Grey thinks there is demand to run to Cockermouth and Maryport. He said: “We had a great day. It was really popular.
“With these things if you are still doing the same thing year after year you stagnate. You have to keep developing things.
“We have made no decisions yet but it is something we are thinking about.”
The trust also ran a service to Maryport after the 2009 floods. It is considering a two-hourly service to Cockermouth and Maryport in future.
First published at 12:58, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Double jobs boost in Carlisle
- Sellafield chimney removal will take years
- FSB outlines opposition to parking fees
- Cumbria’s £3bn grid connection: everything you need to know
- Training experts offer tips on learning for #cumbriahour
- Lake District whisky goes on sale at Harvey Nicks
- £1million ploughed into Cumbrian travel project
- Cumbria's top tweeters give their social media tips
- Blencathra has been sold
- £27m Government deal to create 2,000 jobs
- Warning over 'Hollywood-style' cyber attack
BBC News business headlines
- Good week for supplier base
- Good to see familiar faces return to ringside
- Get ideas off drawing board
- Dear Jenny
- Engineering boss relishes taking on fresh challenges
- Maryport firm SIS Pitches completes job in Copenhagen
- Website gives South Cumbria firms chance to take on giants
- Cumbrian marmalades to go on sale at Fortnum & Mason
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
- Child porn images were downloaded by mistake, man tells court
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (4 comments)
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (4 comments)
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Police name dead cyclist found by A592 in south Cumbria
- Country traditions thrill thousands in Coniston
- Top poets launch three new collections
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Sun set to shine on festival of Kings