Fears rise over Barrow hospital cancer unit proposal
Last updated at 16:43, Monday, 18 March 2013
POLITICAL pressure has been ramped up on hospital bosses over plans to relocate oncology treatment at Furness General Hospital.
The University of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust announced last week that it is considering major changes at the unit.
FGH has eight inpatient beds in the unit, which opened in 2005 after a lengthy public fundraising campaign.
However, a consultation with staff has been launched over the relocation of oncology and haematology in-patient care.
In a letter to the trust’s chief executive Jackie Daniel, Barrow MP John Woodcock has posed a list of questions that he wants the trust to answer, and has called for an urgent meeting.
Mr Woodcock’s questions include asking how the trust can provide confidence that patient care will not be affected; what will be done with the unit’s equipment that was acquired by fundraising; and why no warning of the potential move was given to staff or GPs.
And chairman of Cumbria County Council’s local committee for Barrow, Councillor Ray Guselli, has written to health secretary Jeremy Hunt to ask him to meet those who have raised concerns about the changes.
He said: “What is clear is that given the recent history at Furness General Hospital – ongoing investigations, the proposed but abandoned changes to baby care and now another badly timed proposal which has encouraged unprecedented public opposition – someone needs to take hold of issues at this hospital and within its governing body/trust; and to do so immediately.
“I therefore write to invite you to meet with concerned residents and patients on the basis that intervention at the very highest level may be the only solution to stop this continued catalogue of proposals.’’
The trust has stressed that there are no plans to take away the unit, but that relocation of the oncology beds would improve patient safety and access to medical intervention.
First published at 16:06, Monday, 18 March 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Bullthingy step 1 the beds go then the unit they have got to find some other way of saving money its totally unethical to take away something provided by public fundraising how on earth can people be persuaded to provide equipment when they find out it can be thrown out of the window
Make your comment
- Engineering needs to be ‘sexier’ says Cumbrian MD
- Top tips: climbing the Google rankings
- Cumbria business blog
- CumbriaHour discusses the business tech of the future
- Cumbria bakers to compete in TV cooking contest (1 comment)
- Totalpost wins huge Home Office contract
- Dodd & Co salute staff with 155 years service
- Chancellor praises Carlisle in Commons - twice
- Cumbria firms welcome package to help high street trade
- Superfast broadband: Carlisle businesses get up to speed
- Small Business Saturday hailed as a 'big success'