Export award for Carlisle tyre plant to help boost economy
Last updated at 14:59, Friday, 16 November 2012
Pirelli in Carlisle has been hailed as an Export Champion by UK Trade & Investment.
The Export Champion awards are part of a drive by Trade and Investment Minister Lord Green to increase the number of British exporters by a quarter, which would boost the economy by £36bn.
The idea is that Champions will inspire novice exporters to pursue overseas markets.
Five Cumbrian businesses were awarded Champion status this week.
The others are Tata Steel’s projects business in Workington, Hidef Aerial Surveying in Cleator Moor, and Playdale Playgrounds and Wax Lyrical in Ulverston.
Pirelli is investing £9m to increase production at its Dalston Road tyre factory in Carlisle, topped up by £2m from the Government’s regional growth fund.
Much of the output of high-performance and sports-utility-vehicle tyres is exported.
Meanwhile, Simon Nicholson, head of international and trade at Barclays Bank, spoke to Carlisle businesses about exporting last Friday at a round-table event organised by city MP John Stevenson.
Barclays’ research shows that businesses that export grow by almost a third in just two years while 29 per cent see a positive impact on their bottom line within six months.
Almost nine in 10 agree there are other benefits to exporting, such as having greater confidence in the longevity of the business, increased productivity, stronger innovation and a longer life-span for products and services.
Mr Nicholson said: “Winning business overseas is a vitally important way for small and medium-sized enterprises to prosper.
“Our research shows that, in the challenging domestic market, exporting provides attractive new revenue growth boosting the bottom line and supporting job creation.”
Barclays ‘Business Abroad’ package aims to help businesses start trading overseas. It offers free access to expert guidance, workshops and tools, and discounts on international products and services.
Mr Stevenson said: “Export markets are undoubtedly very important to the growth of businesses and the expansion of the UK economy.
“It is encouraging that so many companies in Carlisle have begun to explore the possibilities of trading with business in other countries.”
First published at 14:11, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- Funniest Twitter responses to best ever Apprentice episode
- Roman fertility god banned by Facebook
- £450,000 boost to Rosehill theatre redevelopment
- Firm uses Skype to help client in Ebola zone
- Will Lloyds Bank branches in Cumbria be saved from the axe?
- Firms urged to aim higher at Growth Twenty14
- Over 2000 new businesses set up in Cumbria this year
- MPs press rail minister to invest in Furness line
- 20,000 will use Carlisle airport to get to USA
- Cumbria business discovers amazing Roman treasure
- Cranston’s: we won’t leave to grow
- Hotel wins top Facebook award
- Cumbria businessman lauded nationally as visionary
- Keep ownership until cash is in the bank
- Never underestimate the importance of lists
- Eight global markets already lined up for Lakes Gin
- Lakeland kitchenware predicting rapid growth
- Nuclear skills time bomb can be halted
- Should firms support Labour's minimum wage plans?
- Carlisle Living Awards: winners revealed
- Cumbrian village digs its own broadband network
- Story Homes submits plan for 190 houses in north Carlisle (46 comments)
- Record occupancy for Cumbria hotel
- New firefighters’ burning ambition to help save lives
- Science fair sure to attract some bright sparks
- Gold medal for Brampton apprentice at national auto competition
- New hotel team is ready to push the business forward
- Scotland move for motorway services empire
- What is a grant of probate?
- Look ahead
BBC News business headlines
- What is a grant of probate?
- Look ahead
- Herd instinct grips crowded ringside
- Andrew brings his skills and flair to the table
- Foreign growth secret to playground firm’s success
- Orders on tap for brewer’s customers
- Helping young people to build skills is inspiring
- Spa’s all worked out beautifully for Nat
- Cumbrian credit union takes on banks with new services
- West Cumbria's economy one of fastest growing
- UPDATED: Busy north Cumbrian road reopened after crash
- Burglars target north Cumbrian petrol station
- Public meeting over cuts to Cumbria police budget
- Nominate a Christmas Star for a special treat
- Outrage at theft from disabled man in Barrow
- Up to five people injured in crash
- Cumbrian girl having life-changing operation today
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (7 comments)
- Cumbrian comedy fan turns up for gig a year early
- Pylons to provide economic benefits for Cumbria