Cumbrian factory cutting almost fifth of its workforce
Last updated at 12:25, Friday, 01 February 2013
A Workington factory is shedding nearly a fifth of its workforce in an efficiency drive.
ABB at Salterbeck is looking to cut 17 jobs from its staff of about 100 by the end of March.
All departments of the factory are affected.
A company spokeswoman said: “We are looking to make changes to ensure the long-term profitability of the site and continue to be competitive in what is a very challenging market.
“We hope that we can achieve it through voluntary redundancies without having to make any compulsory redundancies but we can’t rule that out.”
The factory, which makes measuring devices, has been at the Salterbeck Trading Estate for 50 years.
First published at 12:24, Friday, 01 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Engineering needs to be ‘sexier’ says Cumbrian MD
- Top tips: climbing the Google rankings
- Cumbria business blog
- CumbriaHour discusses the business tech of the future
- Cumbria bakers to compete in TV cooking contest (1 comment)
- Totalpost wins huge Home Office contract
- Dodd & Co salute staff with 155 years service
- Chancellor praises Carlisle in Commons - twice
- Cumbria firms welcome package to help high street trade
- Superfast broadband: Carlisle businesses get up to speed
- Small Business Saturday hailed as a 'big success'