Friday, 28 August 2015

Cumbria temporary chief constable disappointed at continuing supension

STUART Hyde says he is “deeply disappointed” that he remains suspended from his job as Cumbria’s temporary chief constable.

Chief constable Stuart Hyde

He has been away from his post since September following allegations of serious misconduct.

Confirmation of his continued suspension was given by Cumbria’s police commissioner, Richard Rhodes, on Christmas Eve.

Afterwards, Mr Hyde said: “I have co-operated fully and voluntarily submitted information to the IPCC, Cumbria Police Authority and the South Wales Police investigation team.

“I remain deeply disappointed that my suspension continues. I look forward to the investigation concluding and I am absolutely committed to return to my role as Chief Constable and to serving Cumbria.”

Mr Rhodes, Cumbria’s newly-elected police and crime commissioner, announced earlier this month that Mr Hyde would remain suspended while officers from South Wales investigate.

He is required to review the case every four weeks.

Mr Rhodes said: “Following a full briefing and, given that the investigation by South Wales Police continues, I have decided that temporary chief constable Stuart Hyde should remain suspended. South Wales Police continue to investigate the allegations as swiftly as possible.

“The allegations against temporary chief constable Hyde must be addressed in an appropriate manner and following the process set out in the legislative scheme.

“I stress that suspension is a neutral act that will enable a full and thorough investigation to take place.”

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) carried out initial inquiries and concluded that the allegations against Mr Hyde did not “amount to serious misconduct” or were “based on unsupported suspicion”.

But it added that “some matters may require an investigation”.

That triggered the inquiry being carried out by Peter Vaughan, chief constable of South Wales Police.

Bernard Lawson, the deputy chief constable of Merseyside Police, is in temporary charge of Cumbria Constabulary while Mr Hyde is suspended.


Hot jobs

New vacancies


BBC News business headlines