Cash gift ensures Furness Factory staff end year on a high note
Last updated at 17:01, Thursday, 20 December 2012
CHRISTMAS bonuses are a concept many may miss out on this year, as the recession refuses to relinquish its tight grip on the economy.
But for the 150 workers at one Furness factory, success has been a big part of 2012 and their efforts have been rewarded in the form of a brand-new £50 note.
Wax Lyrical owner Mike Armstead has spearheaded huge success at the Lindal-based candle manufacturing business since he took over at the end of 2006, and to thank his workers he gave them each £50 as a Christmas bonus this year.
“Our success is down to the hard work of our workers and I wanted to give them a special Christmas bonus as a thank you,” he said.
Wax Lyrical was struggling under mounting debts of £14m and was losing £5.5m a year. But now, thanks to continued investment in staff and the company, Wax Lyrical is debt-free for the first time and Mr Armstead has just invested more than £1m in new systems and machinery.
A modest Mr Armstead, who was initially reluctant to publicise handing out a total of £7,500 to his workforce – from his own pocket – said he was keen to reward staff for their dedication.
He added: “We’ve had the best year in a long time – for more than a decade – and the best year since I have been here. We’ve made a lot of investment and changes and that has put people under pressure.
“It’s been an exceptional year and I wanted to do something to thank everyone for what’s been an incredibly busy year.”
In the Christmas cards he gave to staff, containing the £50 notes, Mr Armstead wrote: “By most measures 2012 has been the most fantastic year for Wax Lyrical Ltd.
“We have invested over £1m in the factory and new IT systems.
“In an incredibly tough year we have grown sales and held margins.
“We have managed to get through the year without borrowing a penny from the bank, despite the £1m investment.
“The combination of growth plus investment has meant that most people have had to work that bit harder.
“Exceptional effort deserves an exceptional gesture, please find enclosed my personal thank you!”
First published at 16:17, Thursday, 20 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
How lovely to read some positive news for a change. Well done everyone at Wax Lyrical.
Make your comment
- Funniest Twitter responses to best ever Apprentice episode
- Roman fertility god banned by Facebook
- £450,000 boost to Rosehill theatre redevelopment
- Firm uses Skype to help client in Ebola zone
- Will Lloyds Bank branches in Cumbria be saved from the axe?
- Firms urged to aim higher at Growth Twenty14
- Over 2000 new businesses set up in Cumbria this year
- MPs press rail minister to invest in Furness line
- 20,000 will use Carlisle airport to get to USA
- Cumbria business discovers amazing Roman treasure
- Cranston’s: we won’t leave to grow
- Hotel wins top Facebook award
- Cumbria businessman lauded nationally as visionary
- Keep ownership until cash is in the bank
- Never underestimate the importance of lists
- Eight global markets already lined up for Lakes Gin
- Lakeland kitchenware predicting rapid growth
- Nuclear skills time bomb can be halted
- Should firms support Labour's minimum wage plans?
- Carlisle Living Awards: winners revealed
- Cumbrian village digs its own broadband network
- Story Homes submits plan for 190 houses in north Carlisle (46 comments)
- Record occupancy for Cumbria hotel
- Sisters’ Barrow stall has quality clothes range all sewn up
- Workington Jobcentre first in Cumbria to go digital
- Booths supermarkets bashing bigger rivals with profits boost
- High-tech firm unveils new manufacturing facility
- Bereaved young need protection
- Pals enjoy fringe benefits of opening up Ulverston business
- Look ahead - The Inspira column