Cash gift ensures Furness Factory staff end year on a high note
Last updated at 17:01, Thursday, 20 December 2012
CHRISTMAS bonuses are a concept many may miss out on this year, as the recession refuses to relinquish its tight grip on the economy.
But for the 150 workers at one Furness factory, success has been a big part of 2012 and their efforts have been rewarded in the form of a brand-new £50 note.
Wax Lyrical owner Mike Armstead has spearheaded huge success at the Lindal-based candle manufacturing business since he took over at the end of 2006, and to thank his workers he gave them each £50 as a Christmas bonus this year.
“Our success is down to the hard work of our workers and I wanted to give them a special Christmas bonus as a thank you,” he said.
Wax Lyrical was struggling under mounting debts of £14m and was losing £5.5m a year. But now, thanks to continued investment in staff and the company, Wax Lyrical is debt-free for the first time and Mr Armstead has just invested more than £1m in new systems and machinery.
A modest Mr Armstead, who was initially reluctant to publicise handing out a total of £7,500 to his workforce – from his own pocket – said he was keen to reward staff for their dedication.
He added: “We’ve had the best year in a long time – for more than a decade – and the best year since I have been here. We’ve made a lot of investment and changes and that has put people under pressure.
“It’s been an exceptional year and I wanted to do something to thank everyone for what’s been an incredibly busy year.”
In the Christmas cards he gave to staff, containing the £50 notes, Mr Armstead wrote: “By most measures 2012 has been the most fantastic year for Wax Lyrical Ltd.
“We have invested over £1m in the factory and new IT systems.
“In an incredibly tough year we have grown sales and held margins.
“We have managed to get through the year without borrowing a penny from the bank, despite the £1m investment.
“The combination of growth plus investment has meant that most people have had to work that bit harder.
“Exceptional effort deserves an exceptional gesture, please find enclosed my personal thank you!”
First published at 16:17, Thursday, 20 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
How lovely to read some positive news for a change. Well done everyone at Wax Lyrical.
Make your comment
- 18 month wait for car charging points drags on
- Event to tackle the challenges facing Nuclear Industry
- Brewery launching five new beers
- Movers and shakers in Cumbrian business
- New Marks & Spencer store in Carlisle will create 55 jobs (17 comments)
- New owners after auction firm's shock collapse (6 comments)
- Cumbrian restaurant is best in country
- Sellafield makes pledge on recruitment
- Barrow firm reveals dip in profits
- Cumbrian entrepreneur develops new social media software
- Proposed changes would be potentially "disastrous" for Sellafield
- Date set for phase one opening of Carlisle Airport
- Penrith firms combine for new website
- Cumbrian firm in liquidation
- Plans submitted for another major solar farm
- Windfarm attracts new investor
- Finalists revealed for Carlisle Living Awards
- Carlisle's enterprise zone bid set to go to Chancellor
- Carlisle airport flights shortlisted for subsidies
- Groundbreaking Cumbrian app could create 50 jobs
- Sainsbury's on look-out for small store sites across Cumbria
- Energy minister hints at cash for transport improvements in west Cumbria
- Proposal to get gas from coal reserves under sea bed
- Sellafield signs up for the 5% Club campaign
- Sellafield workers in mass pay protest rally
- Six seminars at next B2B event at Carlisle Racecourse
- Persimmon eyes new workers as it steps up house-building programme
- Cumbrian phone app project set to create 50 jobs