Campaigners’ delight as minister backs Furness General Hospital inquiry
Published at 16:05, Thursday, 21 February 2013
CAMPAIGNERS have hailed a government pledge of support for an independent inquiry into failings at Furness General Hospital as a “huge relief”.
It comes after health minister, Dan Poulter, wrote to the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust telling them that an external investigation is needed.
Mr Poulter met Barrow and Furness MP, John Woodcock, and members of the Morecambe Bay Inquiry Action (MBIA) group last week.
The investigation will not be a public inquiry, as evidence will not be heard under oath but it will be independent and heard in public.
Dalton dad James Titcombe, who lost his son Joshua nine days after his birth at FGH in October 2008, is spokesman for MBIA. He said: “It’s definitely what we would’ve hoped for and it’s a huge relief.
“It will be completely open and transparent and that’s what’s massively important.
“It means what happened won’t be glossed over, or buried, or forgotten about and hopefully we’re going to get to the bottom of it.
“It’s not just about looking at what happened. It’s about learning lessons, so we make sure we have a fully sustainable, safe, consultant-led service for the future.”
MBIA member, Leanne Coulson, successfully sued FGH after staff failed to spot a blockage in her newborn son Milo’s urinary tract in 2006, resulting in him losing a kidney.
Mrs Coulson, from Windermere, said: “I think people sometimes think we’re exaggerating about the things that have happened, so the fact we’re going to have a full inquiry will bring all of that into the public eye.”
Sir David Henshaw, UHMBT interim chairman, said yesterday: “I received the letter from Dr Poulter just before the weekend and discussed this with the trust board yesterday afternoon.
“We noted the contents of the letter and will be responding to the minister today.
“Dr Poulter said he was convening a meeting of local MPs, commissioners, regulators and the trust in March, and we will discuss the issue further at that time.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Double jobs boost in Carlisle
- Sellafield chimney removal will take years
- FSB outlines opposition to parking fees
- Cumbria’s £3bn grid connection: everything you need to know
- Training experts offer tips on learning for #cumbriahour
- Lake District whisky goes on sale at Harvey Nicks
- £1million ploughed into Cumbrian travel project
- Cumbria's top tweeters give their social media tips
- Blencathra has been sold
- £27m Government deal to create 2,000 jobs
- Warning over 'Hollywood-style' cyber attack
BBC News business headlines
- Good week for supplier base
- Good to see familiar faces return to ringside
- Get ideas off drawing board
- Dear Jenny
- Engineering boss relishes taking on fresh challenges
- Maryport firm SIS Pitches completes job in Copenhagen
- Website gives South Cumbria firms chance to take on giants
- Cumbrian marmalades to go on sale at Fortnum & Mason
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company
- Child porn images were downloaded by mistake, man tells court
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (4 comments)
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (4 comments)
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Police name dead cyclist found by A592 in south Cumbria
- Country traditions thrill thousands in Coniston
- Top poets launch three new collections
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Sun set to shine on festival of Kings