Barrow attack victim had to learn how to eat and walk again
Last updated at 14:38, Monday, 18 June 2012
A YOUNG man left with brain injuries after an assault in Barrow has told how the violent attack changed his life forever.
Before the attack nearly two years ago, Jamie Elliot planned to leave home and become a tree surgeon.
Since he was repeatedly kicked and left lying in the street in the early hours of July 24, 2010, he has spent his time in hospital or under the near-constant care of mum Georgina Speirs.
They are now repeating an appeal for public help to bring the attacker to justice.
Mr Elliot, of Barrow, said he could remember little about the night of the incident.
The 20-year-old had to learn to eat and walk again after the attack.
He still finds it difficult to balance and has problems with his memory and controlling his temper.
Mr Elliot said: “I would like to go back to work, I just don’t know if I’ve got it in me to do a full day’s work.
“I don’t think I am ever going to go out around town again. My mate was saying to me the other week he wanted to go to Blackpool for my 21st, but there’s no way.”
After the attack he was in a coma in intensive care in Furness General Hospital for four weeks.
He spent four months being treated both there and at Cumberland Infirmary’s neurological department.
He said: “It seemed like I was in hospital a lifetime. I started getting to the stage where I wanted to smash my way out of the hospital, I wanted to leave that bed.”
Police say Mr Elliot could easily have died from his injuries, which they believe were caused by repeated kicks to the head.
They believe he sat on a bench at the top of Dalton Road and suffered a serious head injury at about 3am.
He was found in the alley between Bailey’s Amusements and Heath’s in Dalton Road.
Prior to this he had been at a house party in Barrow and also The Rifleman’s Arms, in Salthouse Road.
Mrs Speirs had to give up her job at Twilight Years care home agency and will spend much of the rest of her life looking after her son.
She cannot believe that no-one has told police who is responsible.
She said: “I am just surprised with how small Barrow is that no-one has come forward.
“I am disgusted to be called a Barrovian really, you don’t do that to someone.”
She thanked the police and staff at Furness General Hospital, who had been “faultless” in how they helped the family.
A man was arrested the day after the assault, but released without charge.
Detective Chief Inspector Bob Qazi said he believed one person was responsible, who had thrown away the clothing and shoes they wore.
He said: “The person who is responsible will have confided in their friends. Someone knows what has gone on.
“We don’t rest on things like this. People needn’t think they have got away with it just because it happened two years ago.”
He urged anyone with information to contact Barrow CID on 101.
First published at 13:24, Monday, 18 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
If anyone knows who did this then please shop them to the police as they could do this to someone elseâs son or even yours! I hate anyone who kicks or jumps on peopleâs heads especially once they are unconscious. Know one deserves this sort of attack its bang out of order. In my day once you had put someone down in a fight it was over. People who kick or jump on peoples heads once they are down should. Be sent to prison for a long time.
I donât know you Jamie but I wish you all the best in the future and that these animals are caught soon.
This guy needs to go down. He is violent and will do it again and maybe to one of his friends who protect him. I do not know you cowards who protect this worthless person, only know that Barrow would be a safer place without him. We all make choices in life only hope you guys can live with yours
View all 3 comments on this article