£29m cost of clearing up after Cumbria floods
Last updated at 10:03, Friday, 16 November 2012
Clearing the devastation caused by Cumbria’s catastrophic 2009 floods has cost taxpayers £29 million.
The figure has been revealed by the county council three years on from the chaos that wreaked havoc across the county.
Tony Markley, councillor responsible for highways, yesterday praised the work that continues to be made in repairing the damage.
It is three years to the day on Monday since floodwaters washed into homes and businesses in places including Keswick, Cockermouth and Workington – claiming the life of policeman Bill Barker, who was swept to his death when a bridge over a river collapsed.
In the immediate aftermath, the council estimated it would take three years for Cumbria to “get back on its feet”, a target Mr Markley said has been achieved.
Northside Bridge, in Workington, where PC Barker was washed away, was officially opened by Princess Anne last month and the final major infrastructure project – Camerton footbridge – is almost finished.
“I am informed that, subject to weather conditions and river levels allowing final work to be done, Camerton footbridge should be open to the public on November 30,” Mr Markley said.
In addition in the Workington area, there is the new iconic £1.7m Navvies Bridge, in Workington, the restoration of the Calva Bridge, and replacement or repairs to various bridges in Cockermouth, Low Lorton, Bouthray, Little Braithwaite and Broughton High and Cut.
Mr Markley said: “No-one should underestimate the magnitude of the work. The cost for highways and bridge repairs alone is £25m. Most of that has been funded through the Department for Transport’s recovery fund, but the direct impact on Cumbria County Council’s highways budget is an estimated £4m.
“Add to this the £4m needed on Public Rights of Way, and the £1.3m that has cost the county council directly.”
Mr Markley was keen to put aside the financial burden though, as he recognised the community efforts and hard work of council staff and contractors.
First published at 09:55, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- Double jobs boost in Carlisle
- Sellafield chimney removal will take years
- FSB outlines opposition to parking fees
- Cumbria’s £3bn grid connection: everything you need to know
- Training experts offer tips on learning for #cumbriahour
- Lake District whisky goes on sale at Harvey Nicks
- £1million ploughed into Cumbrian travel project
- Cumbria's top tweeters give their social media tips
- Blencathra has been sold
- £27m Government deal to create 2,000 jobs
- Warning over 'Hollywood-style' cyber attack
BBC News business headlines
- There’s still time to take part in prestigious awards
- World Cup prints idea scores global success
- Good week for supplier base
- Good to see familiar faces return to ringside
- Get ideas off drawing board
- Dear Jenny
- Engineering boss relishes taking on fresh challenges
- Maryport firm SIS Pitches completes job in Copenhagen
- Website gives South Cumbria firms chance to take on giants
- Cumbrian marmalades to go on sale at Fortnum & Mason
- Cumbria County Council grits roads in sweltering heat
- Barrow man's battle to overcome drugs and legal highs
- UPDATE: Dalton man in court charged with burgling Barrow club
- Millom clock tower owners ticked off by grant refusal
- Man hurt in knifepoint robbery on Carlisle street
- Cumbrians have fun in sun with temperatures set to soar again
- Anger over Cumbrian Sunday rail service snub
- Cumbria police use Tasers 81 times in year
- Carlisle sandwich thief was 'penniless and hungry'
- Carlisle residents win battle over problem trees